Enterprise times, a business and technology news site reported in 2018 that the demand for ethical hackers has risen again in the UK, not only that, but the demand outstrips the supply by threefold. This trend doesn’t just apply to the UK, all over the world the demand for ethical hackers is on the rise. This means that with the right skill set potential ethical hackers should be able to easily secure a job, and a well paying one at that.
The International Council of E-Commerce Consultants (EC–Council) is a global leader in providing InfoSec cyber security certifications like the Certified Ethical Hacker certification (CEH). A Certified Ethical Hacker knows how to look for vulnerabilities and weaknesses in the target system in much the same way a black hat hacker would, only on the right side of the law.
Deciding which certifications to do can often be a challenge when you decide to upskill. There are so many certifications out there that it can often be difficult to determine which is the right one. Often some certifications can seem too similar and other deciding factors come into play, like the price. However, if you are confident you want to become an ethical hacker the CEH is essential. The CEH certification is internationally recognized and is often a requirement for ethical hacking jobs.
Why is the CEH certification the most popular in the field?
- Ethical hacking is a relatively new profession so having a recognized certification can go a long way, it makes clear your ambitions and also your adherence to legality. Adding to this, up until recently hacking has always been seen as an illegal activity and the network security field wants to reinforce that hacking is also a legitimate profession.
- It demonstrates that you have the required skills for hacking and a clear understanding of the principles behind it. The certification is tailored to this, so while other certs may touch on similar topics the CEH makes your skills clear.
The CEH exam
The exam is composed of 125 multiple choice questions, of which candidates have 4 hours total to complete them. There isn’t a static passing score for the exam, but it is generally around 70%, but can range from 60% to 85%.
Candidates will find out their test score almost immediately after the exam, often a few minutes after completing. The results may show your performance via a bar chart for each section of questions, but it does not show your scores for individual questions. This is so they can test for overall competency of the subjects rather than the ability to memorize answers. The test costs around $500.
Tips for passing the exam
- Use a study guide: They can be easily found online and include all the material necessary to complete the exam.
- Mock tests: You should test your skill level by taking mock tests regularly throughout your research.
- Talk to other test takers: Find communities of others taking the CEH exam. Reddit or other forums are a good place to look.
- Give yourself enough time to study and prepare.
The salary for CEH certified person
New Zealand: NZ$89,000